Wherritt House Gifts is in one of the oldest still standing log structures in Lancaster. Built by William Steele Miller in the early 1800’s. It consisted of two rooms on the ground floor, a narrow staircase and two rooms on the upper floor. Each room has the original poplar wood floors and fireplaces just as they were when it was first built. In 1830’s two rooms were added for a dining room and kitchen and the log portion was covered with a bead clapboard. The swing arm hook used for cooking remains in a large fireplace in the addition. It is thought that this home was used as a stop for the persons traveling to and from the county seat. They could have a nice meal and a bed for the night in one of the two upstairs rooms.
On November 1, 1855 W.H. Wherritt, county clerk, married Mary Jane Miller, in the keeping room on the main floor of this home. As a wedding present her father was said to have given this house to Mary Jane and William. We would like to think that they would be pleased to know that their home is being used in such a manner and that its' history has been preserved.
Go check out the Wherritt House Gifts facebook page, while your there please take the time to like and share.
Go to Bonfire.com/store/garrard-arts/ to see many more choices and to order. This store will raise money to go towards our art programs and up-keep of our Arts Center.